Thursday 7 April 2011

Making the Print Advertisement

After coming up with 2 initial designs for my advertisement, I settled for a simpler graphological layout as it proved harder than I imagined structuring everything correctly in Photoshop with my limited skills in photo editing. My first task was to create the graphic to be used on both my advertisement and box art products. I used a screen capture from a filmed sequence within the trailer and used Photoshop to enhance the pale skin colour and elongate the teeth into fangs. Using a combination of brushes and colour drop tools, the teeth were satisfyingly sharpened and I then went onto to blur out the background and emphasize the redness around her lips and tongue. Here I edited the skin and flailing hair just a bit more before I moved onto to resizing the canvas ready to layout the templates for the advertisement over the top in a different layer. With the graphic placed and the background cloned across the canvas, it was time to begin adding the templates. I took a long time debating over what fonts to use to accurately depict horror, without it looking too tacky. I ended up opting for a blood red colour with an 'etched' style, followed by blurring out to create a worn out or decrepit effect. The use of a 'hanging man' as the D was a particularly impressive idea of mine, as it really narrows in the idea of torture and pain within the narrative, as well as it being a nice touch for those who notice it. Now with the logo, title and tagline in place suitably around the graphic, the last touches are the release date and graphics for the Development Company, publishers and playable console. These were easy to create as I found them on Google Images and edited them in fluently. I'm really happy with the final product as I think it has a professional finish and it still retains the mystery I want surrounding the advert. As found in the research, if readers of the magazine wish to find out more information about the game and its content, an accompanying website has been supplied. Here is the final outcome.
* Click to enlarge the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment