Monday 20 September 2010

Give 3 clear discussion of how theoretical perspectives studied will DIRECTLY influence your Advanced Production

1) GENRE - As I have decided to undergo the project in which you create a series of media for a Video Game release, I need to research deep into specific codes and conventions for certain game genres. This means that in the long run, I will stop myself from creating something completely out of context and therefore decreasing my chance of getting a higher grade. Research is key in particular on a subject such a gaming genre as there is such a wide scope. Genre can be in the form of the context (e.g. Horror, Action, Adventure, Platform) but I can also be seen in how the game play is presented (e.g. FPS, 3-person shooter, side scroller, RPG). All of these ideas and possible concepts need to be taken into consideration as some elements will be completely out of my league to recreate. For instance, an FPS set in the Second World War will be impossible for me as I can create that technology to present it, as well as the time, money and acting skill available to me as a college student.

2) AUDIENCE - As a huge gamer myself, I know a lot about the audience surrounding a game, and what kind of advertising can really get people 'pumped'. So after I find my genre, I need to focus on my audience. They are completely separate in the sense that you can make a war game for adults that is violent and vulgar, whereas you can make one for kids that is simple and educational. An audience is only responsive to the evidence you feed them as well, so there is no point coming up with an amazing concept for a video game, and then advertising it wrongly to my audience. I need to draw in potential buyers, but I also need to keep them on the edge. Giving away too much of the narrative or making the game look awful will weaken my audiences’ response.

3) NARRATIVE - A huge debate in the Gaming Industry is the argument between graphics and storyline. Some people would say that as long as a game looks incredible, the story is allowed to lack, but some think oppositely. So I need to make sure that my narrative is creative and unique, or else that is half of the audience I have lost. After placing my project within a specific genre and audience demographic, the narrative is the next thing to take into consideration, in the example of the pre-mentioned war game; I could make a chilling and emotionally-responsive game but is this what the audience want? If I'm planning on releasing a horror game around the same time as another huge sequel to a multi-million franchise is also being released, I will miss out on a huge market (a.k.a. February 2011 will be the release of Dead Space 2, so no other horror developers will even consider releasing a horror game then). So the narrative needs to reflect the need of the audience and my consumer, or else it is a pointless and needless media.

No comments:

Post a Comment